I had high expectations for this soup. First off, I really love soup. I love that it’s versatile, can be healthy, is filling, and is warm. I love that chicken noodle soup also has strong connotations with healing & refreshing the body. When I saw this soup online, I thought that it was a truly inspired idea! 
But, I was sadly a little disappointed. I modified it and added quite a few more veggies than the original recipe called for. I thought that I was on the road to success, but the end result was honestly a little bland. Granted, I was lacking a few of the ingredients the recipe called for, but I thought I’d made up for it with what I’d added! It definitely needed more salt. And maybe some soy sauce? Garlic-chili paste? Cilantro? Green onions? Toasted almonds? Those are some of the ideas that I’ve tossed around that could make this better. If you try this recipe and discover something that works great – let me know!
Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
3 carrots,cut into 1/4”-1/2” slices
1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 large cremini mushrooms, coarsely chopped
2 cups water
1 32-oz. box fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 ounces uncooked whole-grain angel hair pasta
1/4 lb. snow peas, cut into 1/2” slices
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, onion, carrots, bell pepper, celery, and mushrooms; sauté 3 minutes.

Add water and broth and bring to a boil. Add chicken and pasta and cook 5 minutes or until chicken is done.

Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Let stand 5 minutes. 

0 comments:
Post a Comment